God Bless The American Beaver
Here are some fun beaver facts for us all to enjoy!
- Beavers are creatures whose personalities are described as industrious, hardworking and busy
- Ever heard of the expression "Busy as a beaver" or "Eager beaver"?
- Fur trappers hunted beavers to the very brink of annihilation in the late 1800s
- Humanity nearly extinguished the beaver in our pursuit of commerce and fashion
- Beavers have made a dramatic comeback from near extinction in the last 100 years and are no longer endangered
- Took decades for them to return to healthy numbers, but only a few years to wipe them out initially
- In the US, the beavers' range extends from Alaska to the East Coast
- They are considered a keystone species (their health and well-being affect many other species) and have a profound effect on the entire ecosystem they inhabit
- Without beavers, fewer ponds and marshy areas would exist; without these, we might have fewer amphibians, wading birds, and fish
- Their dams create marshy habitat for a variety of species and function as a natural filtration system
- In winter, you may find branches with leaves stockpiled under cold water, which the Beaver use as a "refrigerator" to store their tender food until the following spring
...and I could do A LOT more beaver research online...
LOADS of Additional Beaver Resources
- Leave it to Beavers nature documentary (MUST WATCH)
- Beaver Fever disco music (from The Angry Beavers)
- BeaverCON 2020 ... WhoooHooo!! Let's Go!!!
- There's even an All-Out beaver book for sale on Amazon
- Read an actual science article about Beavers https://www.coltonjamestownsend.com/all-about-beavers